About the Project:
We are looking for an Assistant Director to work with a large team and company of 20+ singers to create new productions of the operas Ruth (the biblical story) and The Six of Calais (adapted from George Bernard Shaw’s play) presented as an opera double bill at the Susie Sainsbury, Royal Academy of Music, in April 2023.
- Work with the Director and Stage Manager to run rehearsals
- Lead Cover Rehearsals (dependant on experience and supported by the Director)
- Attend production meetings
- Support singers as necessary
- Prepare and operate the surtitles system for all performances. Any training required on software will be given.
- Attend Press and Supporters Nights
- Adhere to, and actively contribute to, Pegasus Opera policies, including Equalities (including diversity, access, equal opportunities); Environmental and Health & Safety
- To always act in the best interest of Pegasus Opera
Ideal candidates will have:
- Experience as a facilitator, workshop leader, or in a creative leadership role (e.g. Director, Choreographer etc)
- Experience in devising, movement, physical theatre, or puppetry/object manipulation
- A passion for storytelling through music
- Confidence following/reading music scores
- A demonstrable commitment to creating an inclusive and welcoming work environment
- A desire to learn and develop as a director
Mon 27 Mar – Sat 15 Apr 2023 (incl. Saturdays) | 10am – 6pm (Rehearsals)
Mon 17 Apr – Fri 21 Apr 2023 | 10am – 10pm (Tech/Dress)
Friday 21 Apr 2023 | 7.30pm (Performance 1)
Saturday 22 Apr 2023 | 7.30pm (Performance 2)
Sunday 23 Apr 2023 | 2.30pm (Performance 3)
Specific attendance and rehearsal hours to be decided in conversation with the Director. You are also welcome to attend design and concept discussions prior to rehearsals, but this is not a requirement.
Start Date: Monday 27th March 2023
Duration: 4 weeks
Location: Kings Cross, London (Rehearsals); Marylebone, London (Tech & Performances)
How to apply: Please send your CV, a short expression of interest c.250 words and your Equal Opportunities form by 5pm Friday 3rd February to firstname.lastname@example.org
Pegasus Opera Company provides opportunities for artists from African and Asian heritage, promoting opera among people of all ages in underserved and culturally diverse communities. As such, Pegasus is particularly keen to hear from applicants from backgrounds that are traditionally under-represented in opera and other areas of performing arts.